"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Rusticate

 
Rustocate is one of Jen's favourite words. It does have a lovely sound and, provided you aren't at univesity, has a most pleasant meaning too. It means to ive in the country and lead a rustic life; send to the country; give (stone) a rustic look; or have a countryfied appearance. "I love that rusticated bench and is surroundings."

Unfortunately it also means to send down or suspend temporarily from college or university. "He was rusticated for his bad behaviour." 

1 comment:

  1. I was sorting through some old video tapes on Sunday and came across a programme on Gordonstoun which kept on using the word rusticate and I did think about suggesting it to you for this site -- scary!

    ReplyDelete