"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Thursday 15 October 2009

Sultana

 

I love it when someone visiting one of my other blogs asks what a particular word means - it gives me a ready made excuse to put the word on this blog. Kris, visiting my recipe blog, asked what a sultana was, so here we go....



A sultana is a type of white, seedless grape of Turkish, Greek or Iranian origin. Sultanas are used in wine-making and are popularly used in cooking (at least in the UK) in puddings, cakes, breakfast cereals etc — including Sultana Bran (equivalent to the American Raisin Bran).

The name and origin can be traced back to the Ottoman Empire and the ‘Sultans’ who introduced it to the English-speaking world.
 

2 comments:

  1. Another word I had no idea about. Thankyou!

    Scriptor, I'd be honoured if you would like to visit this post of mine at The Island of the Voices. I'm presenting you with an award, with or without its original "stipulations" as you please. (I have just learnt how to insert a link into a blog comment! Hope that works. Otherwise just go to the blog, you'll find it.)

    I'll also take the opportunity to ask you something else that just happened to come to mind (read it the other day). Do you know the origin of the phrase "before you can say Jack Robinson"??? (I could probably google it, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the award Dawn Treader! Much appreciated. The link worked fine.

    And look out for Jack Robinson another day!

    ReplyDelete