"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday 22 November 2013

Selfie

   Welcome to the Oxford English Dictionary's word of the year for 2013 - selfie.  A selfie is a type of self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. ...


The Urban Dictionary has this super definition - A picture taken of yourself that is planned to be uploaded to Facebook, Myspace or any other sort of social networking website. You can usually see the person's arm holding out the camera in which case you can clearly tell that this person does not have any friends to take pictures of them so they resort to Myspace to find internet friends and post pictures of themselves, taken by themselves. A selfie is usually accompanied by a kissy face or the individual looking in a direction that is not towards the camera.

(My spillchucker didn't recognise selfie but since I am so unlikely to use it I don't think I'll bother adding it...)

2 comments:

  1. Umm... many of the pictures on my blog - especially the "fashion" ones - are "selfies", although not taken with my mobile phone but with my digital camera, using the timer. But... I do have friends; they're just not around in the mornings when I get dressed to take pictures of my outfits. Also, I find that I pose better and more relaxed in my outfits when there is nobody around to take the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No "selfie" pictures here, either. No smart phone, either, as i have teens and don't need anything else in the house that is smarter than i am.

    ReplyDelete